Wednesday Morning disaster

When you are in the “business” that I am in — providing care for handicapped adults, one of the things that is of utmost importance is being very, very careful with medication.  I handle meds for seizures, schizophrenia, depression, allergies, angina, high blood pressure, anemia, osteoporosis, constipation, stomach acid, asthma, pain, fluid retention, and then over the counter meds such as aspirin, cranberry extract, daily vitamins, etc..
As you can well imagine, due to the fact that I am not as young as I once was, and due to the constraints of time and scheduling, I have to have a plan.  Or else I get mixed up.  One of my rules is that I never, never, NEVER give medication to two different people at the same time.  It is too easy to give the wrong person the medication that has been pulled for another.
And in addition to that, I try to never take my daily vitamins and prescription meds at the same time that I am getting my ladies theirs.
This has worked quite well for a long time.  Not that I never make errors.  I do.  I am human, and flawed.  But it is and always has been my intent to have as few errors as I possibly can.  One of the things I do is take my own medications as soon as I get up.
Yesterday was a very backwards day.  Wednesday is the day that I take my Mama to appointments if we can possibly get things scheduled, pay bills, organize her medications, and whatever else might need doing.  So yesterday, we were scheduled for a dentist appointment in Dover.  I got up and got the morning started, and began a glass of airborne — that I always use to take my morning medications.  But then it was time to get Cecilia up, and so I went about other morning things without taking my pills.  Certain Man came down from his shower and was getting something to drink, and I saw the airborne there and decided to just go ahead and drink it and never even thought to take my pills.  Certain Man left for work, I got breakfast around for my ladies, and started to get Cecilia’s morning pills out.  Then the phone rang, and it was Certain Man, needing to discuss some church business, and wondering what I had to say about the coming weekend.  I remembered then that I hadn’t taken my morning pills, and so decided that I would take mine while I was talking to Certain Man.  I got a glass of water, took the pills from the container that was sitting on the cupboard and swallowed them down.  I finished the conversation with Certain Man, hung up the phone, then went to get Cecilia’s Wednesday morning meds.  They were gone. 
Now I am very slow of heart to understand, and I was puzzled as to where they all were, so I began a search to see if I had set them down somewhere.  I looked and looked and looked, but could find absolutely NOTHING.  Suddenly, almost a heart stopping moment, I began to wonder if maybe — just Maybe I had given them to Nettie.  But Nettie is very, very observant and she knows if she has the wrong pills.  And she won’t take them if they aren’t hers.  Then I noticed that the Wednesday morning container on my medication planner was still full — and in that terrible moment, I realized that I had taken Cecilia’s morning meds.
I cannot begin to tell you what went though my head at that point.  Cecilia is on 1,000 mg of strong seizure meds twice a day.  She takes another seizure med that’s 100 milligrams twice a day, too.  As well as seven other pills with her morning meds.  They started her on both seizure meds on very low, low doses and kept upping it as they felt it was safe.  I kept thinking that I had dumped all that medication into my unsuspecting, unacclimated system, and I couldn’t help wondering what in the world the consequences were going to be.
It was not yet eight o’clock, so I could call neither pharmacist or doctor, so I flew to the trusty “google spot” and discovered that I was probably not going to suffer any lasting effects.  I discovered that I may experience dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, and many, many other things, and that there was “no antidote.”  Groan.  
Eventually, I got ahold of the pharmacist who reassured me that I wasn’t going to die.  He also said, “You may not even suffer any adverse effects.  You might not even be able to tell you took it.”
Yeah, right! 
I said, “I was going to drive my mother to Dover today for an appointment.”
He said, “Well, I don’t know as to whether I’d advise THAT.  You should probably stay home today and take it easy.”
So I called Eldest Daughter, who had been considering going along anyhow, and she said that she would be glad to go along.  And DRIVE!  What a blessing that proved to be.
For you see, I really was pretty much out of it for most of the day.  I couldn’t walk a straight line to save my neck.  Maybe five or six steps, but then it was weave city.  Certain Man and Middle Daughter were so amused.  I did go to Dover, but I didn’t get much accomplished.  And when I came home, I got on my chair and pretty much stayed right there.  I managed to get a simple supper together for my ladies, but I didn’t even consider going to prayer meeting.
Today, I’m a whole lot better.  I can walk straight, and I can make intelligent conversation.  But I am so incredibly tired.  All I want to do is sit on my chair, sip iced tea and sleep.  Which isn’t good at all.  I have a women’s tea to speak at tomorrow night, a state inspection next Wednesday, and there is a Ralph Yutzy Family Reunion here next weekend.  This gal has things to do!
But if taking it easy is what is best for me, then I guess I should give it a few more hours at least. 
At least I don’t think I need to worry about getting a seizure.
If you need anything, I’ll be on my chair . . . 



Filed under Uncategorized

12 responses to “Wednesday Morning disaster

  1. Cuz, cuz!!!Another time, another story, another chuckle…But I’m not sure how long you’ll be in your chair… I should have come over to give you a foot rub…

  2. After all that, I couldn’t help but giggle at your last sentence!!

  3. Oh dear!! So did you give the lady another set of her meds in place of the ones you took? Can you imagine what she also has experienced when she has taken her meds and as they changed her dosage? Meds can be scarey.Glad you realized what happened before you “hit” the road.

  4. Oh, goodness, I know you must have been worried all day as to what might happen next! I’ll have to post one day about what happened when Daddy gave Mama one of his diabetes meds rather than the Tagamet he thought he was giving her…Oh, my what a couple of days we had!Stay close to your chair and feel better!!

  5. Mary Ann, Mary Ann! You make me laugh – and I laugh only because I know you are okay.

  6. Wow! That would be scary. You have way too much drama, Mary Ann. 😉

  7. I have been there done that with Bruce’s med. I was “drunk” for nearly three days. Luckily for Linda and Bruce the mistake was on our part taking their meds. It could have been so much serious if the other way around. Luckily there was something to laugh about in this case.

  8. your story made me laugh!  (and Mom)  I am glad you survived your mixup without to many adverse effects!

  9. @Dominie –  Dominie, I cannot believe how many people have told me that they have done the same thing. The funniest one was when my Father in law was getting some really strong laxative for my mother in law and bringing her a glass of water at the same time and took them without thinking — wow, did he pay for that! But I am feeling much better. Still have a bit of an upset stomach, though. It sure was no fun feeling fuzzy for so long!@houseintheprairie –  And House on the prarie — Yes, I gave her the meds that she was supposed to have — and I was so glad that I could do that because I would have had to file a big old medication error report if I had given her the wrong meds or if I hadn’t given them at all. It’s a big mess when the ladies don’t get their right pills.And to all the rest of you — I’m glad that you could laugh with me. I love it when people laugh with me at my misfortunes. Thanks for all your comments.

  10. MaryAnn – you are such a blessing in so many ways!! I can’t help but think that God has a purpose in EVERYTHING and even when we make mistakes, He uses them. We do not always understand what that use is but it is there nonetheless. Thank you for the blessing that you continue to be to me!!

  11. I think I left a comment for this post..maybe on FB, nevertheless I shall leave my “oh noooo” on this site. I am on B/P meds now….only 1/2 a pill once a day….I had to buy a weekly pill case to keep track of if I had taken one each day or not…Good thing I am too old to need a birth control pill each day…..I’d surely forget to take it!!!! LOL

  12. Sorry, but I laughed..but only because I knew that those meds have to build up in your body to do what they are suppose to do. And I know that because many years ago, I had a little son take his sister’s meds. But he was like you..slept very well that night. and I should have read this on the day you wrote it because the very next day on Mary’s last day of school, I gave her her night time meds. and she slept the day away which was interesting because they don’t make her sleepy at night?! And she is 18 and has been take seizures meds and other meds since she was 4.5 and I have NEVER done that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s