I had a cousin whom many of you knew — My Uncle Monroe and Aunt Naomi’s Youngest son, Steve, who died in a farming accident in November, 1994. Today, his youngest son and his wife and their two little girls joined us for lunch. This was another source of great joy for me. I had never met this young man and his family, but I looked at his smiley eyes and saw his daddy. I looked at his beautiful daughters and saw my Aunt Naomi. If I were to say what my favorite part of this day was, it would be hard to choose, but meeting this young family would be high on the list.
And then there was a little bit of excitement this afternoon when things were winding down. I had lit some candles on my washer and dryer before the company came. It made some great light in a darkish corner, and it was springish looking.
Along about 5:30, the smoke alarm at the top of the basement stairs began to go off, and Certain Man went to investigate. I heard a great exclamation, looked across two rooms to the laundry room in time to see him dump a bucket upside down on my one candle.
It wasn’t really unattended, and if it hadn’t been for the doily, it would have been on a fire proof surface — but I got a good reminder again of how fast things can go wrong. I am so thankful for Certain Man’s quick thinking. I am a teeny bit sorry about my silk candle ring. I just got this particular one on Thursday!